Sunday, April 27, 2008

Funeral in Philadelphia

GREAT VIRGINIA (as Ginny liked to call her great-grandmother) passed away on April 18 in the early morning. She was Chris' grandmother that our first daughter was named after. 4 days later we were on a plane to Philadelphia to help put the funeral together, meet with lots of people, and mourn with other family and friends. She was a sweet woman that has been in poor health for quite some time. It was a quick 4 day trip. My grandparents in Beaver, UT came to Price to take care of Asher during that time. He would have had a hard time with the rush of it all and the lack of entertainment. My very brave 6 1/2 year old daughter gave the opening prayer at the funeral in behalf of the remarkable woman she was named after. She did a great job!

While we were there, we spent some time with my brother KC and his family. He has just finished dental school at Temple University and it was quite the timing that we were able to go back there one more time before they moved somewhere back West again. Our last night there, Chris and I and our kids, KC and his family, and Chris' brother Charlie and his family all drove down to Southern Philly to go to the famous Geno's for the real deal in Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwhiches. It's like the Grey's Papaya of New York! Note for any of you future goers... If you want your sandwhich with cheese wiz, you order it "Wiz wit". I know, WEIRD!

6 comments:

Mindy said...

I am saddened to hear about Chris's Grandmother. Tell Chris we send our simpathies. Both Dale and I have lost grandparents.

Me said...

That is too bad about his Grandma. I'm sure she meant a lot to Chris if he wanted to name Ginny after her.

That is good that you got to see KC & his family, though. How neat that he is all done with school!! And your grandparents staying with Asher, how nice of them. Thank goodness for wonderful families!

Anonymous said...

Wow great job Ginny! What a nice thing for her to get to do. I recently lost my grandma last month... she was in bad health for a very long time too, it is nice to know they are in a better place now in perfect form, but still a sad loss. I hope that you all have some fond memories of her to comfort you now at this time.

kendra said...

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. I'm glad you were able to attend and everything went well!

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

I hate funerals but it always seems like the time that everyone can get together as a family. Sad that it takes a funeral to help get people together.

Nat said...

I still love the name Ginny. My friend's name is Virginia but she goes by Ginger, but I like Ginny. Anyway, I'm glad you got to go out there and honor your Grandma. So cute that Ginny said the prayer. Brave girl!